Skip to main content

JOT - WEEKLY UPDATE

Just One Thing - Weekly Update

JOT Revolution is a way of thinking and acting for me.  It seems much easier to tackle one thing at a time for positive changes in my daily existence. This week, I challenged myself to do the following:

  • Breathe
  • Drink Water
  • Say Hello
  • Look Up
  • Hug

Breathe. Breathing is involuntary but taking time to voluntary breathe lowers stress and allows for one minute of focus.  An App on my watch even guides this action!   I may not make time to meditate every day but one minute of deep breathing is my mini-break.

Drink Water. The health benefits of drinking water are well documented.  For me, the amount of water I chose to consume will be challenging to maintain.  For my teacher friends... perhaps impossible.  However, drinking more water helped me control what I ate and helped me get well from being sick.

Say Hello. Saying hello is a reminder that I can impact people. The key for me is to be genuine and kind, not intrusive.  Hello and a smile connect me to others.

Look Up. Looking up occasionally pulls us off our phones into the wider world.  Despite ugliness that may exist in our news and our lives, there is beauty around if we look for it.  I experienced simple joy from clouds or flowers or even watching my puppy play with her favorite ball. 

Hugs. I was given a hug after a difficult conversation. The reassurance that all was okay was important.  The physical connection for that brief moment created a physical and emotional connection.  I hugged my kids that day.  Sounds simple?  I have teenagers.  Those hugs had to be coerced but the effort was worth the result.

The simplicity of these actions made them doable and the result of these actions gave me joy. Winning!

Now it is your turn. 
What is Just One Thing you will do today or tomorrow to revolutionize your day? 
What would take you out of your norm for one minute, one hour or one day that would add benefit to your life?
What are your experiences focusing on Just One Thing?

Please comment and share.  I would love to know what you think!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JOT - SAY HELLO

JUST ONE THING:  HELLO! I have been in the house for two days sick.   I am getting a bit stir crazy but do not feel like being social.  My JOT today is to get out and say hello to someone. This accomplishes two things: 1) connects me to people other than my family; and 2) contributes to a friendlier environment out in the world. The Power of HELLO  notes that sometimes the simplest things can make a big difference. Will you join me doing this one thing today?

Just One Thing (JOT)

Change is possible by doing just one thing.  One thing a minute, one thing a day, one thing this year.   JOT REVOLUTION operates on the philosophy that doing just one thing can revolutionize your life and the lives of those around you.

JOT - BREATHE

APPLE WATCH - BREATHE APP Just one thing:  Breathe Took one minute to work on my breathing.  This is a skill that needs development.   A resting heart rate between 60-100 is considered normal for a person my age.  So, while I am in that range, my goal is to focus my breathing and lower my heart rate below this starting point. Read some research on the importance of breathing to help control stress:  Harvard Health: Mind and Mood